Church...
Yeah, yeah, I know WE are the church. What I'm talking about --or would like to talk about with your help, is the church gathering that we attend.
What is church for? Is it for the believers to come and be fed, equipped and encouraged? is it for outreach to bring sinners into so they will find Jesus? What should our non-negotiables be when it come to choosing a church?
How dedicated should a "good christian" be to their church? Is it ok to go to one church for Sunday worship and to a different church for weekly meetings and activities?
I would greatly appreciate some thoughts... biblical thoughts even better.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm waiting for someone to wade in with an intelligent response...
I have many thoughts on this subject but finding it a bit difficult to put into words here.
I know the scriptures encourage believers to meet together to give each other encouragement.
Hebrews 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Psalm 122:1
I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD
We are suppose to welcome people to church.
Luke 14:23
And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
There are many scriptures about the church meeting in homes. So, I don't think there is one certain way it has to be done. I recently read the book 'Heavenly Man' by Brother Yun and it is all about the persecuted church in China who meet secretly in homes.
I think it's important to meet with other Christians in some form. Wither it be in a church building or home. I also think the local church is a good base to minister in the community from. And it's always good to get the children involved in the activities at church. But, I do not think we should use it as a crutch. I think we should minister and witness to people outside of church activities and also be involved in the community in other ways "be the salt of the earth".
The church I attend puts a real emphasis on worship during Sunday morning service. We don't ask God for anything...we just worship, adore and thank Him for the many blessings and His faithfulness. I so enjoy this time of focusing on the many attributes of God and how Holy He is. I'm drawn into worship. I stop thinking about who's there and who isn't and what whoever is wearing. It's all about God and worshipping Him.
There's my 2 cents worth.
So here is where this is all coming from. Sunday we visited a church out of town (because we were out of town). It's a little church plant from a much bigger church in central Va. It was wonderful. Right now they are meeting in a rented hall, they hope to begin building soon. So, all one big room, families worshipping together, children's lesson right there, then sermon following. Good stuff. GREAT stuff.
We have a church we go to. I have many good connections there, some very dear friends who have been by our side over the past year of Jeff's sickness. The kids are very plugged in to the children's programs (Wednesday evenings). However, SUnday services leave me cold. In fact, I'll let it all hang out here, we rarely go on Sunday.
I feel that Sunday church is important, both for us, and especially for the kids. It's not a part of our heritage I am willing to give up on, so we keep plugging away.
We have briefly tossed around the idea of finding another church more our speed for Sunday worship, specifically seeking a family oriented church where the kids aren't spirited away to classes and special events but where they remain in service and are taught to learn to participate as much as they are able. However, we felt funny about the whole idea. How do you go to a new church knowing that you are already "plugged in" somewhere else and that you don't intend to give up the other events?
Now this may all be moot... I'm not sure Jeff is willing to drive all that way each Sunday, but right now, I'd settle for even twice a month.
Also, I should add... you might want to get Julia's attention on this. She wrote something very interesting on her blog similar to this and I think she's all for having the children involved in the "big people" worship service.
Post a Comment