Thursday, October 18, 2007

funny kids and disney, part 2 (townhouse, Medieval Times, Downtown Disney)

The other day I had some music playing and I knew I had put on my "kid stuff" playlist. Joey asked if a certain song was Jimmy Buffet and without even stopping to listen, I said no (since I knew i had put on the kids playlist, not a Jimmy Buffet playlist). Joey cocked his head, listened again and said, "Mom, I DO think that is Jimmy Buffet." So I listened and sure enough it was (I forgot that there are one or two JB songs on the kid's list) so I said, "wow buddy, you are right!" To which he matter of factly replied, "You know mom, I AM a parrot-head!"
Today we got a box in the mail and i opened it partway up to see what it was. I saw a package with computer stuff and the term "dvd" on it and told the kids it was just the new "cd-dvd thingy for the computer". Joey, without missing a beat, said, "I think you mean 'new disk drive' mom."
well, umm, yes, actually that IS what I meant.
Apparently he's a tech-head as well.


Ok my last Disney post talked about the train ride. In case I didn't make it clear, it was sooooo WORTH it. I should make a commercial. I wonder if I refer enough people if Amtrak will give me my next trip free?

We arrived in Sanford Florida on Friday morning, got off the train, visited the station's facilities (mustn't ever let an opportunity to go potty pass you by!) and I took the kids out to the play ground. We were only out there for a few minutes when I heard them announce our car number (they put a big magnetic sticker on the side when you turn your car over, then they use that as your call number later). We hopped in and headed for Orlando. Sanford is only about 20 miles or so to Orlando and it was still super early--the train had arrived 30 minutes ahead of schedule and then our car had been unloaded rather quickly. We got to the outskirts of Orlando and decided to stop for a bigger breakfast at Denny's, something to hold us over until our big dinner that evening.


I will say that this was our first day and that we had not yet learned that while adults may be able to eat a lot at one sitting and save it for later, the little ones really just can't manage that. more on that later...sigh.
I was very grateful for making good time and for the fact that the touristy parts of Orlando are actually quite easy to navigate, but our problem was that we arrived way too early. Our check-in for our townhouse wasn't until 4 pm... and it was only 11 am. We went ahead to the realtor and did the paperwork for the townhome, went to the discount ticket place and got the disney tickets, went to the resort and located our townhouse and got our gate pass, tried the keycode (which didn't work since we were 4 hours early), drove past the Medieval Times place so we could know what kind of a trip to be prepared for in the evening, then went to Downtown Disney.


Downtown Disney is a place that I learned about while doing my research for the trip. Essentially, it's a huge shopping area, but it's very entertaining to just walk around. There is a humongous Disney store, a Lego store, a number of toy stores, and much, much more. It was a great way to get into the "disney mood" on arrival day since we wouldn't start the parks until the next day.

On Friday evening we went to the Medieval Times Dinner Show. It was pretty cool. If you have ever been to Dixie Stampede or the like, it is very similar, except themed around knights. The performances where very interesting, lots of horses and jousting and sword fighting. We were cheering for the Blue Knight. I have to say we got a really great dinner, the kid's tickets are less $$ than the adults but they got the very same meal, also, even though we had not purchased a ticket at all for the baby, the waitress (sorry, just can't bring myself to call her our "wench") brought out some of everything for her too, a whole serving of soup, bread, potato, and even a rib. The only thing Joy didn't get was a half a chicken. I don't really think she missed it though. From left to right- Dean (our oldest), Anthony (Dean's friend who we brought along so they could go off and not leave Dean stuck with the us and the under-six crowd), Joey, Jeff, Jessi, Joy, and me. You love the blue crowns, don't you? You wish YOU had some. There was a time when certain people reading this blog would have gladly worn these crowns to class or the dining hall. You know who you are.




Pictures of the kids getting ready to go out and swim in the rain (hey, wet is wet, and we are on vacation after all!). This was our little splash pool at the townhouse.


Joy is just so stinking cute in this swimsuit. She hasn't yet learned that horizontal stripes add unwanted inches to her figure.The resort had two big playgrounds, although we only ever made it to one. It was very neat, castle themed as you can see. Here is the entrance complete with a drawbridge and moat.Joy riding the dragon in the moat.Jeff and the littles playing chess.

I won't post pictures of the inside of the house, you can see them hhttp://www.floridasunvacationhomes.com/property_vh.asp?Rooms=3&ID=13365&AD=4/5/2008&DD=4/10/2008ere. and my fancy little link on the word "here" didn't work. oh well.


Ok, pics of Downtown Disney are we are done with this post.

The Lego store had so many neat sculptures. The kids riding a train.Joey. He's so serious. I wish the child would just lighten up sometimes.

Bye for now. next time it will be the first day in the parks--Magic Kingdom!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I am enjoying the trip journal very much, Jody! Keep it comin'. And, yes, your little Joey looks like quite the somber soul. :) Your kids are adorable, btw.

And, hey, who do ya know that would have worn a crown to the DINING HALL? HUH? HUH? Who?

Anonymous said...

Love seeing all the pics. Glad you had a good time in Florida. I'm here visiting Dad in NC for the next few weeks. Janet has been in touch with me and asked for your email address. If she doesn't get in touch with you her email address is janetrp8@gmail.com