Tuesday, February 5, 2008

politics

yes, I know I'm late on the bandwagon, but honestly, I just can't get into the fray too early on... why get your hopes up on the next guy who can save America when they aren't actually going to make it onto the ballot anyway?
I am, as usual, a bit conflicted on how to vote in the upcoming election. I have to admit, I can get confused about who the less evil option is just in our local elections, so for the national picture, the mire only gets deeper.
Only this time, I'm less confused about who to vote for (here's a shocking admission, I'm not even sure who the current frontrunners for nomination are) than I am about which issues I will make my decision based on.
-the war
-the economy
-"family values" (not really sure what all that entails, but I assume sanctity of marriage and prolife stance)
-immigration reform
-healthcare
-education
-the environment.

I have taken some of those little quizzes that tell you who your most likely candidate is based on the issues that are important to you, and I find that I pretty much need to vote both for and against, ALL of them.

First and foremost, I'm a Christian. Therefore my values need to line up with God's values. Ok, not a problem, I know how I feel on all the issues and I trust that those views are based in God's values. The problem arises when I realize that voting will not be that simple. I am going to have to prioritize. Which issues are most important to me? What if one candidate supports my top two issues but is totally against all my views on all the other ones?

I have strong feelings on the war. and not typical republican conservative feelings either.
I have IMMENSELY strong feelings on immigration issues....and not your typical republican conservative feelings either (if you doubt this... you should check out my posts on MyHoliness...it would curl your hair)
I have moderate feelings on the economy and education and the environment. I assume that those would probably line up with most other conservative views.

Lest you think that I don't care about family values, that is not it, it's just that that term gets bandied about so much that I don't even know what it stands for anymore.

What truly frightens me is when I realize that I will almost certainly end up having to choose between something like immigration and abortion. Before you throw your hands up and ask how that could EVEN be a question... let me explain.
There are atrocities going on every day IN THIS COUNTRY that are a direct result of our broken immigration system. Kidnapping, murder, white slavery... the immigration system is so very broken. simplistic answers like "well if they'd just follow the laws..." just don't hold water. Even Immigration Law specialist get caught up in the quagmire. There is no simple answer and the inhuman acts that are happening every day will not stop until there is true reform. I truly feel that when our country knows about the wholesale white slavery trade of 12 year old children and does little about it, then we WILL stand in judgment for our (mis)treatment and (non)protection of people made in God's own image.
Abortion. I don't even know how to approach this. Do not dare for one moment to think that I am making light of this plague. I am a mother, I am a mother who has lost a baby in my womb. I know how precious life is. However... abortion has been legal for nearly 35 years. We have had 5 republican presidents during that time and only 2 democrats. We are finishing up 8 years of Bush. Abortion is still legal. I do not know how I can in good conscience ignore other pressing issues that might actually make progress (like immigration and the war) by voting based soley on the abortion issue when I KNOW it's not going to change anyway.

And that is all of part one. Let the comments role.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I have learned to NOT make many comments on politcal posts:) but just want to say "YES!" to your thoughts...the way the immigration debate is so inadequte really annoys me and I (personally) will not vote for anyone who uses the term "alien". Yes, it's complicated ...way more so than the politicians/media tries to make it. And none of us should be boxed in by labels. Blessings!

Anita Marie said...

You have hit the nail on the head on so many things and I agree.

Gary was reading a book not long ago that stated that up till 2006 the Republicans had control of the Presidency, Congress and Senate and did absolutely nothing about making abortion illegal. So, just because you've voted a conservative republican who says he's against abortion and forget about everything else that is important and very urgent....well what I can I say...it's not very wise.

Anonymous said...

Go Jody!!!What you said is very true. I mentioned to someone that if a democratic president would get accomplished as much as our last two republican got done we would not have to worry much!!!!! I think that as Christians it is time for us to make some decisions. You made a good point. The candidates for president are none glowing examples of what we want but if we just dont vote to prove a point.. we paving the way for a president that could potentially take us farther than we know....