Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Joyana/ Scarlet Fever

How old are you now? What is your favorite color?Why pink and red of course, that is why I'm celebrating my birthday with a raging case of Scarlet Fever! http://plus.aol.com/aol/reference/scarletf/scarlet_fever?flv=1

Now as wonderful as all this is, Joyana does hope that none of Mommy's friends ever need to know what to look for... but just in case, she is willing to share these pictures to aid in diagnosis...

These small blotches are on both wrists/hands, about dime size, but irregular. you can see the spotty rash right on the edge of her sleeves. that rash continues up the arms, and is all over chest and back, as well as groin. Her face (shown above) is brilliant "sunburn" red, and getting rough. apparently this will all peel off once she's done. yippee. can't wait for that.

This picture of her back shows the proper color--RED.



This one I took without the flash and then brightened it so as to show the way it is a tiny pinpoint type rash. It is the same shot as above, her back.


Around her eyes she has the tiny purple bruising called petechiae, this is also all inside her mouth and throat.




She is on the needed meds now and should be starting to get better. I guess it takes a few days even after killing the Strep to get all the toxins out, not sure. Anyway, she is one sick baby.
I had a hard time finding good pics online to aid in my home diagnosis, so while I HOPE no one else needs to know, here are some pics just in case.







4 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Michael had this once, boy do those pictures look familiar! He got it from some cousins visiting from out of state several years ago, of the three kids that got it his was the least bad. My sis-in-law said her son that got it was like a celebrity when she took him to the Doctor in Indiana - everyone in the building wanted to see it, most had never seen an actual case! I hope she is feeling better soon and that no one else gets it.

J Luck said...

we went today for Joey's appt and get him on the antibiotics and they had a med student in there working. she was supposed to be seeing Joey, but I told her about Joy and let her look the rash, although it's much faded now, you can still see a lot of the markings, the pinpoints etc, she was very excited to see a real case of it, and the Dr. thanked me for letting her look. Not sure that Joy was too thrilled about showing her belly in the name of science, but oh well.

they are all on antibiotics now for the strep, and the Dr says that infants rarely ever get strep so Jonny should be fine. I hope so. I'm pretty done in.

Melody R said...

Saying a prayer for your darling daughter that she is feeling better real soon! She is beautiful even with RED cheeks! Love those curls and green eyes!

Feel better Joy!

Melody

blessedmama said...

i am so sorry!! poor baby. :(
hugs!