
Joey, Joy, and Jessi, riding Dean the turtle. I think Dean wishes we had something like this at home. He frequently has all the kids on him, but without benefit of this nice turtle shell as a buffer.
Jessi doing an interactive virtual frog disection. It was pretty neat. It was on a touchscreen computer, so you had to touch the tools in your kit, then touch the frog to cut it up.

In honor of the big Jamestown 400 celebrations that are going on all over our area, the museum has a really neat exhibit called "Survivor Jamestown." You pick up a "life board" at the entrance and it tells you who you are (based on actual Jamestown settlers) and how much of various necessities and commodities you start with (food, shelter, clothes, items for trade). As you go through the maze, you make decisions and face situations that either add or subtract life beads. The challenge is to make it the whole way through without running out. Jeff died when his corn got eaten by deer, but Dean made it with only one bead left. The kids just ran through and played at all the stations.



Dean and Joey playing with skunk skins at one of the learning stations. These were real skunk skins that were partially sewn back up to make puppets. Yuck.

Joy gave out somewhere along the nature trail.
In one of the aquarium rooms Jessi was excited to see these puffer fish. She wanted to see them puff up though. I told her that they only puff up when they are scared or excited... so she kept turning her head away, then quickly turning back and saying "Boo!" The fish never did cooperate and realize that this was supposed to be frightening, but it sure was cute.

6 comments:
Oh, I LOVE museums, too--what a great Christmas gift. Truly the gift that keeps on giving. We did a zoo membership at Milwaukee zoo that was really not much more than a one time visit (when you have a large family) and it got us into so many other zoos on our travels to see family. A great investment, the membership idea!
Hey Jody!
Just wondering abou you; hope you and yours are doing well. Our little group of bloggers has been quiet lately. Guess it's just the busy summer months.
SO I'm just checking in!
Tara,
Thanks so much for thinking to check on me. You are right, I haven't been on in about three weeks. We've been having a rough time. With great excitement we found out I was pregnant on July 2, but immediately had problems. I miscarried two days ago, on July 24. It's all a bit fresh to talk about right now. However, I would be remiss if I didn't say how faithful God has been through all of it. I will eventually write it up, simply because the testimony of his love and kindness needs to be spoken.
Thanks for missing me and checking on me... it means more than you know.
Jody,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Jody,
I am so, so sorry to hear of your miscarriage. There are no words I can express that can make it better but please know I will be praying for you. God will be your everything and may you feel that reeality most, in this your hour of need.
I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I've has four, so I realize how much pain you're having right now. Please know that you are in my prayers.
Post a Comment