Back Story: Jessi has been struggling with carnality, specifically hot emotions and a quick temper. I heard a marvelous teaching back at the beginning of our MOPS year and as a result, Jeff and I knew we had to do something to curb this behavior. It was certainly NOT an overnight fix, but has been amazing to witness the power of Scripture in the life of 4 year old. After much prayer I decided that she had to memorize, understand, and begin to apply several scripture verses. Her verses are:
2 Corinthians 10:5b ... we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.
Phil. 4: 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
Proverbs 25:28
A person without self-control is as defenseless as a city with broken-down walls.
What has been beautiful to see is that even a four year old can begin to control themselves with Jesus' help.
So, current story. Joy is two and beginning to experiment with "having fits", we are of course intervening and training for this. (True confession: I often have to turn away and giggle before I can properly intervene. She wants a fit, but she also wants comfort. She will start on the floor, get up and lean on the wall, and finally go recline on the couch... all during the same fit.) I honestly hadn't even thought yet about teaching her any verses... she's 27 months. Apparently Jessi realizes that the earlier, the better, and has no compunctions about age or limitations. The other night I was in my room and Jessi proudly marches Joy in, tells me to listen, and then word by word, guides her through saying the Proverbs verse.
I cannot tell you how my heart melted.
Moments like that are truly life's sweetest treasures.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm back in the blogesphere after a month of travelling. Love your Easter pictures. I saw your Mom at church and she seemed to be doing well after her operation.
Jody;
How sweet that her big sister is leading her in the right direction. We memorize scripture, but what a great idea to have them learn scriptures that specifically speak to their personal weakness. Thanks for the idea.
Also, I plan on writing a blog this week about how we educate. I've been asked by a couple people and it may be easier just to post a blog for you, them and future reference.
Oh, beautiful!!
Hey Jody;
FYI I finally wrote the post answering some of your questions about education. Hope it's helpful.
Post a Comment