Sunday, May 4, 2008

God's Hugs in a Deviled Egg

So Jeff is home, I think I said that last time. He is actually doing well, hasn't used his pain meds at all for the past few days. Our main issue is the wound care. I think I said the surgical wounds were the size of my pinkie or ring finger. Nah. Let's move right on up to thumb. Super fun times and I'm so glad that I'm well past any stages of nausea etc. The important thing is that by all indication we have beat this infection. He is tired but starting to get bored (woe is me) and has had absolutely not even a hint of fever.
He does have ample time off, thank God for a salaried job, rather than hourly. If he gets too far in the hole for sick days they will put him on short term disability I think. One other possibility may be that they send him a laptop so he can work on a few key things from home. Apparently the Navy wants their new ship on time, no matter what has befallen my Jeff. Silly government.
I've shared how blessed I was with childcare during this time, and now am being blessed with meals. Except... I'm afraid I'm going to gain a bunch of weight and also get spoiled--my homegirls can COOK. You know though... there was this one dish... I am seriously wondering if she got it from Olive Garden or something and just repacked it in a casserole dish? Yeah, it was THAT good.
So deviled eggs from God. Well, yes. See, to you, deviled eggs are just a common summer side dish, often used for cookouts or potluck dinners. To me, a good deviled egg is manna; pure deliciousness in a three bite format. I have a few close friends who know this and endeavor to make sure that if we come over for an occasion there are a few deviled eggs. Yes, I have seriously gone to someones house and there was a private dish of deviled eggs just for me. It's that important. So, a lady who I know somewhat from church heard about what was going on and called to ask if she could bring a meal for me (not a member of MOPS, just heard about it) so I let the girl who's scheduling the meals know and they got together. Today was this lady's day. She had emailed me to let me know that my dinner would be in the fridge in the church and to just pick it up. So I did, found a nice casserole of beef and noodles and a bowl with a side dish, brought it home, thought that was it. A few minutes after I got home, my in laws call from the church saying that I hadn't picked up my meal, I told them yes I did, and we realized that apparently I had missed some. They brought it by on their way home... a HUGE bag of fresh organic produce (2 heads of lettuce, 4 lbs of tomatoes, 5 lbs of baby carrots, and a large batch of bananas), a bowl of potato salad, and (drum roll) a big egg dish thingy full of deviled eggs. Now remember, this lady doesn't know me, let alone know me well enough to understand my fetish with deviled eggs. And these are SO good! You'd think that if I liked them that well, I could just make them, right? Well, mine never taste as good as ones that people make for me, and these, oh these are simply divine.
God not only provides for our needs (childcare), but our convenience (all these meals), and sometimes, just an extra special luxury like these eggs to show that yes, he's the amazing creator, God of the universe, mighty healer (Praise Him!) but he's also my daddy and delights in hugging me with someone else's arms in the form of a dish of deviled eggs.

No comments: