I've posted before about my dyeing and spinning and of course knitting. I'm sure I've posted pictures of items I've knit out of yarn I dyed, but I do believe this is the first that I've shown of an item that I dyed AND spun AND knit. I spin on a drop spindle and to make enough yarn to actually create something takes a while (probably because of my crafting ADD which makes me change gears every few minutes!).
So, without further ado...
hand dyed, handspun, then Navajo plied, Targhee wool yarn. I did everything but raise the sheep for this! *Ok,everything except raise the sheep, shear the sheep, degrease the wool, comb the wool...but really, this is pretty much "from scratch."
The Navajo ply is what makes each strand a different color at any given point in the yarn and gives it the sudden random color changes.

I made brown trim yarn to tone it down a bit, although I love all the jewel colors, I think the brown helps to anchor it a bit.
Another close up of the scrumptious yarn.

This is a wool soaker that I will use for Cloth Diapering BabyJ. Wool, when untreated, has natural waterproof and antibacterial properties that make it a wonderful choice to use as a "moisture barrier" for covering cloth dipes. Here it is in progress, still on the needles.

And now, the finished soaker. I am just so thrilled with how it turned out. I made it a small so I wouldn't run out of yarn, and ended up having a little bit left. I think when baby outgrows this I will rip it out and redo it one size up so he/she can wear it again.


So, without further ado...
hand dyed, handspun, then Navajo plied, Targhee wool yarn. I did everything but raise the sheep for this! *Ok,everything except raise the sheep, shear the sheep, degrease the wool, comb the wool...but really, this is pretty much "from scratch."
The Navajo ply is what makes each strand a different color at any given point in the yarn and gives it the sudden random color changes.
I made brown trim yarn to tone it down a bit, although I love all the jewel colors, I think the brown helps to anchor it a bit.
Another close up of the scrumptious yarn.

This is a wool soaker that I will use for Cloth Diapering BabyJ. Wool, when untreated, has natural waterproof and antibacterial properties that make it a wonderful choice to use as a "moisture barrier" for covering cloth dipes. Here it is in progress, still on the needles.

And now, the finished soaker. I am just so thrilled with how it turned out. I made it a small so I wouldn't run out of yarn, and ended up having a little bit left. I think when baby outgrows this I will rip it out and redo it one size up so he/she can wear it again.



2 comments:
argh. stupid stupid. I thought I could load the pictures more quickly if I used a direct html link to my photobucket album instead of loading them from my computer... but blogger didn't automatically resize them like I *assumed it would.
so it cut off the edges of the soaker picture. :-( POUT
Jody - that is awesome! You are so crafty! This is Tonya (Janosko) mayfield from HSBC. Can you email me I have some questions concerning the soaker! tonya@cookevillenazarene.org
Post a Comment