I figure if I'm THIS pregnant, I get a freebie... a chance to mouth off without having to be careful to be PC about it?
Oh wait, this is my blog, I get to do that anyway.
So... this election... to be frank, I'm not happy with either candidate, I am dismayed with my choices. I was thinking I would be deciding based on who stood closest to my own personal key issues... that doesn't seem like it will work seeing as how I just don't like either one's stance. My latest hope with all the discussion about running mates is that I could choose based on the VP.
So, while I do think that Biden will appeal to those who weren't ready for McCain OR Obama, he doesn't sway my vote. I was REALLY hoping that McCain would choose someone I could really get behind, or at least tolerate.
Not so.
Ok, so the lady may look great for the republican party on paper... but I have a fundamental hang-up with her position on family values.
You know, family values, the watchword and song of the GOP, the reason why they can rally behind pro-life, anti-gay marriage, stiff sentences for drug dealers, etc...
I first heard she was a mother, and in fact one of her children was in the military headed for Iraq. I assumed that meant that her kids were grown, mommy days were over.
Nope. not so.
She has an infant.
A four month old infant.
Yes, I've seen the statement that she made about men being able to fill public office and watch their family grow and how women can do the same. And how her children won't be neglected and how her duties won't get shirked.
Oh How I disagree!
SOME duty WILL be shirked...either her political one or her mothering one.
I spent a horrible 18 months as a working mother. Every day was torture.
Please, understand that I realize not every mother can stay at home full time due to circumstances beyond her control. My own mom was a working mother, she was widow with three kids to support. And she did a bang-up job if I may say so myself. But that is not the issue here.
I was torn daily between my duty as a mom and my duty to the USA (I was active duty military). This was immediately post 9-11 and getting out early was simply out of the question (yes, I did actively look into it). Women are great multi-taskers, of course we are. I can even say that some women can probably do some jobs and do ok at both the job and the mothering. I would still say that it's not ideal, not with an infant. And I would also say that those would be jobs that can afford to be shirked a little if the family needs arise.
VP of the USA is probably not one of those type of part time jobs.
Mrs. Palin HAS a choice, she has a choice between her political career and her infant.
Here's my stance on it... if she's any kind of mother, she will end up being torn between family and political duty. If she's any kind of politician, she will have to choose the political duty "for the greater good" and all that jazz. Which may make her a good political figure, but a poor mother, and thus in my opinion, not someone I want leading me and being held up as a fine example.
To be honest, I haven't even looked closely at her official political views. I just can't get past this whole mother of a young baby thing. How terribly old fashioned of me, I know. And yes, I KNOW that I am blessed beyond measure with my little white-picket-fence life and my husband who amply provides for us. Don't get me wrong... I didn't say that staying home and mothering full-time is easy... merely that it is right; that by having a child, you just created a duty and responsibility for yourself that supercedes all others.
You know what else bothers me? And again, I must admit I haven't had extensive conversations yet about this, but for the most part, the conservatives I've talked to are pretty happy with this choice. I'm a little perturbed about that. Sacrificing the raising of your kids for the good of the party constitutes good family values?
Blech.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I am cracking up that you wrote this blog - I have been mulling those exact same thoughts over and over in my head since yesterday.
While I think she is one cool chick in many ways...and I appreciate what she stands for...I can't get away from the fact that she is still in the Mommy stage of life!!!
I think even more so because I firmly believe that if my sister Charlene wasn't a stay at home Mom that her son with special needs would not be doing nearly as well as he is. Knowing Sara's son has Downs Syndrome, I think for her to choose politics over being a Mom is unfair to him!! If her kids were all in college that would be one thing (although I'm not sure it's fair to her husband either) but she still has two young ones at home.
I so agree with you - one or the other will suffer. I don't care if it is old fashioned, and in my opinion I believe that it is the way God intended it!
Could I have your permission to put that post on my blog? I will give you the credit. "-)
Jody,
I read your blog on Hobe Sound's page and just had to respond...I'm with you girl! My heard was immediently sad for the children when I saw how young Sarah Palin's children were. You are so right...something will suffer! It will be interesting to see what conservatives like Dr. Laura and Dr. Dobson will say about this issue after being outspoken on women's greatest job.
Hope your little one comes soon...ours just came 10 days ago and I can tell you that the memories of the horrible 9th month stage readily fade. It is soooo worth it!!!
Blessings on you!
Julie (Mccall) French
Mary Ellen, feel free to use whatever thoughts or the entire post.
Jody
wow. What a post. You couldn't have said it better Jody. I agree 100%!
I just love your last post too. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures. The ones of you are awesome! I don't think I have ever seen you that pregnant. I do hope baby J comes soon.
I have had similar thoughts, I believe that a woman's first priority should be her family. It would be hard even with older children, but even more so with a special needs child. How do you balance surgeries, therapy, and cabinet meetings? My husband says she will have a good nanny...(he doesn't QUITE get it!)
On the other hand, I think Sarah Palin is an amazing woman that saw an injustice and decided to do something about it....she never planned on becoming VP! I was talking with my husband the other night and said it sounds like she came home one night and said something needs to be done about this, ended up mayor and didn't stop! The contrast to Hillary Clinton is wonderful :-)
It is very hard for me to get past the fact that she still needs to be a Mommy to her family....but on the other hand, God used women in the Bible like Deborah when the men were slacking! I believe that our country and the election and the Palin family needs lots of prayer.
Yes, I will vote for her, the other option just isn't an option!
I hope this isn't too run on or twisted around, I have gotten interuppted several times before finishing.....life as a Mommy!
Post a Comment