Sunday, April 15, 2007

Photography & Digi-scrapping

Tara commented on some of my pictures from my last entry. My mom got me a nice "real" camera for my college graduation gift and things pretty much took off from there. I resisted a digital camera for a long time, turning my nose up in disdain, claiming that nothing could replace the love affair I had with my Nikon. A few years ago, my husband finally talked me into it just so we could easily send pictures to the grandparents. Thanks to a really good salesman at Best Buy, we walked out with a lot more camera than we went in intending to buy. I have to admit that as anti-digital as I was, it was only a short time before I was hooked. The appeal of being able to snap off hundreds of pictures with no regard to film or developing cost is undeniable. I still don't think that digital photography replaces traditional film shooting, but I have come to respect it for its own sake. Sure, I Photoshop, but I'm here to say that even the most tedious of editing isn't going to fix a shot that simply isn't there.


The flower shots from the last entry are basically untouched, I just cropped them. The day was perfect (overcast) and the subjects beautiful. They didn't need any help.
I will give a few examples of what I do like using Photoshop for (actually, I use PSE, it is a fraction of the price of full PS and still ample for everything I do as a amateur photographer and for my digital scrapbooking).
I wanted to scrap this shot of Jeff helping Jessi eat cotton candy at a picnic we went to, but as cute as the picture is, I find those people in the background distracting. Since I couldn't rent the park for my own private photo session, I just made them "poof" and be gone. This shot is much more scrap-able.

I wanted to use this shot of giraffes at the zoo on a block-puzzle (I'll blog about that sometime) but it obviously needs a little help.

So, I cropped, brightened, and most importantly, got rid of the buildings in the backgroud. Was I at the zoo or on safari? I'll never tell!For this, I took a simple shot from the front yard and put Joyana in a studio.

Well, I intended to talk about digiscrapping as well, but I think I have more than enough photos in this entry. I'll do some examples of my layouts in another post.

2 comments:

Anita Marie said...

I'd like to see some pictures of the grown ups in this family as well. :)

Eileen said...

Hello Jody, I am Ruth Gerard Jacksons mother. Becky, Ruths sister came across your blog through Hobe Sound.
She found where you changed some of your pictures like the giraffs. I love giraffes. But we are wondering if you could email me so that we can exchange words about the photo changes. It would be great to see just what you do.
Thank you for your time.
gerard4150@yahoo.com