OH I have so much to say and share and talk about but this is gooing to have to be a quick post.
let me be to the point. i love hymns, i miss hymns, sometimes i'm so frustrated that if i could find a church who actually sang good hymns i'd go there regardless of the flavor of church.
so, please, i want recommendations of recordings i can get of good hymns... and to be a bit more picky, I would like them to be singing not instrumental, i would like them to be sort of "normal" in that they aren't fancy arrangments, but more what you would sing in church, finally, if they could be kid friendly that would be great. that doesn't mean falsely peppy, just listener friendly. My kids can enjoy good music, not just "kid music" (for instance, they know by heart most of the music from Sound of Music, even the slow songs) but I'm not sure they will be tempted to sing along with slow or operatic type music.
So really, is there such a thing out there? is it possible for my kids to grow up in this age of 7-11 praise choruses and still learn the great hymns? thanks!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I share your frustration. Check out this site: Indelible Grace Music.
Yodee...I feel your pain. I'm in a big hurry with little time to write and reflect as well, so I'll just give you my immediate 2cents and try to at least double it later! :) If you can still find the old Gaither Trio Hymns CD..it is AWESOME and TIMELESS. We listen to it quite often while getting ready for church on Sunday mornings. It's probably 15-20 yrs old, but again timeless, and very "sing-a-long-able". Also, the group Selah has a Hymns CD that is pretty incredible. These are my first recommendations, and I'll try to think of more.
Again, I feel your pain. I am a lover of hymns, and shudder to think that my kids might not know them. But with their daddy leading the music, we always sneak some in..and Derek has started the tradition of sharing the stories behind the hymns with our congregation. They seem to enjoy it...and being the good HobeSOunder that I am, I LOVE it!:)
Good luck!
Hi Jody,
We got a CD from Focus a few years ago and it fits all you describe here. You can take a look here: http://www.gnpcb.org/product/1581342152
I do not know if the CD can be had separately. I think the Wolgemuths and Joni have done other similar projects and they have some especially geared for children, but this is the only one we have heard.
Enjoy reading your postings now and then.
Randy (for Jane and the boys)
Hi. I accessed your blog via Hobe Sound. Our family has experienced some of the same frustrations since our move and so we have been doing a hymn of the month. It is working great!
Jody, I understand how you feel. The church I am attending so very rarely sing hymns. Not long ago we sang, How Great Thou Art and the congregation was so blessed we nearly lifted the roof off. I can't figure out why they sing such hymns so rarely. I mean you can't get much better then Great is Thy Faithfulness, Be Still My Soul and Blessed Assurance. I'm growing to love the choruses we sing and I have a few favourites that mean a lot to me. But, the hymns are so deep in theology and meaning.
Joni Erickson Tada's CDs are the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. She sings the hymns so simply and with elegance. She has a few Children Hymn CDs out also.
http://www.joniandfriends.org/store_category.php?category_id=6
Just scroll to the bottom.
Read this blog of a mother with the same frustration.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/EEEEMommy/371908/
Oh this are such a great and helpful responses! It's good to know I'm not alone in my desire to share this large part of our heritage with my kids, and it's good to know that there are resources to help me! THANKS
Post a Comment