Decoupage. Oh don't look so shocked, I could have said macrame you know.
The basic tools: Mod Podge or other type of decoupage glue, available at any craft store or probably at walmart. Papers, I love using the pretty tissues that you get your china wrapped up in when you buy dishes from outlet stores, however, you can use any pretty papers such as scrap booking paper, holiday napkins, or wrapping paper. I personally prefer thinner tissue type papers rather than good sturdy scrapping paper, but it will all work.
Something to decorate. For this project we have made a number of journals. I got blank journals with hard covers for $1 each at Michael's Craft Store, I'm sure you could find suitable books at the $1 store or decorate things like mini photo albums or even picture frames. I was fortunate to find journals that had the metal spiral binding that allowed me to completely remove the covers and then put them back on later. You can do this on books with non-removable covers, you'll just have to take care not to spill glue over the pages.
This book had lovely stiff covers, but was also graces with burnt orange and brown designs... I simply covered the covers with stiff card stock before starting to decorate with my tissues.
Choose some papers with motifs that you like and start cutting them out, bits and pieces from a variety of papers can look really nice. I cut out fine work like the flowers and like the look of ripping motifs from scrap booking papers, such as the words in the above book. Also, when I rip the paper, I like to use a tinting marker to color the ripped edges. I will also rip strips from the tissues for stripes and bands. It's all up to you really.
It's time to get messy. You'll need a big-ish paint brush, or even better one of those small foam brush things, they are usually about .20 at craft stores and work really well for evenly applying large areas of glue. After a trial layout start gluing, you will apply a coat of the mod podge all over the cover and begin laying your paper designs on. Decoupage is all about being loose... don't get all huffed up if your papers wrinkle or the lay out changes from your original plan... and layer! I think it's nice to start with a large motif and then layer, layer, layer, on top and around it. Glue, lay stuff on, cover it with more glue, lay more stuff on, and on and on.
For your last layers of glue, you will want to pay close attention that you anchor down any edges or thick pieces. Also, depending on how much you wrapped around the edge of the covers, you may like to cut one piece of paper to fit inside and glue that down, just for a clean inner cover (hint: I often use one sheet of the paper from the journal...it fits exactly and gives a nice place for an inscription if you so desire). Once everything is dry, just reassemble the journals.
The one on the top left is what Jessi made (with help, yes, but she did all the cutting and most of the gluing) for her teacher.
Of course you are not limited to books, here is a wooden star that we picked up for less than $1 at a craft store and then decorated both sides
Here is a little trinket box that Joey and I did.
I'm sure I left out some vital part of the directions, so if you are interested and have a question, just leave a comment and I'll try to clarify it or take more pictures!

2 comments:
Love these! Geez Jody, you are just Ms.Crafty lately! I can't get over the things you are putting out!
i'm def. going to try this one with the ladies soon :)
You make it look and sound so easy - the photo albums are really beautiful. I'm sure they were a huge hit!
I wish I had an ounce of your creative genes.
Post a Comment