Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day??

oh dear.
I did remember, I did. Well, I remembered about a week ago, when I put together the photo book Jeff asked for for Father's Day and told him that I did it but hadn't ordered in time and it wouldn't be here in time.

I remembered again on Wednesday when Jessi came home from Rainbow Club class at church with a Daddy card she had made.

And then I forgot.

Saturday I brought the mail in and noticed there was a letter for Jeff from my mom. Couldn't figure out why mom would send Jeff a letter when she was just here last weekend, but OK.

I handed it to him and absent-mindedly watched him open it. Simultaneously, as he revealed that it was a card and not a letter, it dawned on me why my mom would be mailing him something.

And that dawning brought a very deep and unplanned response.

"OH CRUD!!! It's FATHER'S DAY!

You will have to let your imagination provide the intonation I used. But let's just say it wasn't positive.

About 3 seconds later I realized...
and stammered...
"Uh,,, did I just say that out loud?"

The look of utter confusion and amazement on Jeff's face let me know that I had, indeed, said it not only out loud, but rather loudly!

Thank goodness the look of consternation on MY face amused him and we both broke into hysterical laughter.

All last night he would look at me and say "oh crud" and I would begin my embarassed laughter all over again.
--------------
now a small confession is needed in order to make the rest of this story funny. I didn't necessarily say "crud". It might have been another word that starts with cr and ends with p.
----------------
Jeff and I have one year old nursery for the month of June. The first two weeks we only had two babies each time. Now it was still a challenge because these were babies who don't like nursery, but at least it was just two.
Today... we had 7 or 8. I really thought I had counted 8, but then when I go back and name them to count them, I can only come up with 7. Either way, it was a lot of one year olds! Especially when about half of them were of the sort that don't want to be in there. We did have two moms who brought the babies in later go ahead and stay, which was good.

So at one point I had two dirty dipes at the same time. I was changing one and the mommy of the other one was changing hers.
Hers was little pooplets, of the rabbit pellet variety. Well, slightly bigger than rabbit pellets, but that type of poop. Mine was.... NOT pellets. At ALL. I heard her comment about the pellets and offered to trade babies right then, but she wouldn't take me up on it. Upon checking the dipes, I had asked Jeff to run across the hall for a trash bag since we were out of the diaper disposal bags. When he came back, I was about finished and threw away the dipe from my baby, as well as the clorox wipes I used on the changing table, and proceeded to begin thoroughly washing my hands. Jeff went over to the other mommy to get her dirty dipe and tie it into the same trash bag.
As I washed, I heard much laughter... and looked up to see that Jeff had been out of the room during the "rabbit pellet" comments and had just picked up the diaper (which the mommy hadn't completely fastened up yet) and the diaper had sort of fallen open and all the pellets had rolled out... you seriously have to just imagine all the little pooplets rolling and bouncing... it was hilarious.
The next few moments were a flurry of the four of us adults trying to keep babies away from the disater zone, hand wipes to Jeff and the mommy to pick up the escaping poo balls, and get a wad of clorox wipes to mop the floor with.

When all was well, and I could breath through my laughing, I said, "Happy Father's Day honey" to which Jeff looked at me and replied...
"don't you mean, 'oh cr*p, it's Father's Day?'"

6 comments:

Tara said...

Oh Yodee, if only you knew how desperately I needed that laugh tonight. It's been a long stressful day, and there's nothing like a poop story to really raise the bar, huh?!?

You are funny funny woman.

Anita Marie said...

Hilarious. I'm laughing with tears streaming. :D

Jenn said...

ROFL
that is so hilarious!

Liz said...

Oh Jody...I read this post to Phillip and we both laughed lots and enjoyed it very much!!!

Anonymous said...

Soooo funny. I can just hear you say that ... and see Jeff's face when you say that.

And then at nursery ... ha!

While I was reading it Emily had to go potty. Came running out, "Mean Bubby! Ew! Mean!"

Bubby hadn't flushed the potty. It was yucky. She wasn't going to go on it. She started to create her own disaster zone while waiting for it to be flushed.

Your poop story is contagious.

Anonymous said...

This was not a good time to read your blog as I have stitches in my backside and it hurts sooooooo bad to move much less laugh. this was hilarious, Maresa