Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Picture catch up, part four, the end.

I haven't downloaded pictures in ages because the USB port on the front of my computer died and I wasn't in any mood to climb on the floor and crawl around back to plug the cable in. Today the fact that I had 436 pictures on the camera overcame my certainty that if I got down I would never get up, and I did it.

These are pictures of my diaper stash for the new baby. I do of course still have the ones from Joy but they are bigger, I figured I had better make some smaller ones.

This is a stuffable fitted, it has a woven cotton outer and a full suedecloth inner. The diaper is serged.

This is a non-stuffable fitted, flannel inside and out with sewn in layers of flannel inside and a sewn down suede cloth area. (the suedecloth wicks moisture away from the baby and gives a stay-dry feeling.) This diaper is sewn and turned.
This is a stuffable fitted, outer flannel, inner cotton terry/velour with the velour side to the skin. the stuffing is several layers of the same terry.
Stash of ten size two diapers. They are a combination of fitteds, stuffables, flannels and wovens, some sewn and some serged.
Stash of ten size ones, again a combo of styles.

Joey's bear modeling a one pin fitted.
An infant prefold and a regular prefold.
A flat diaper.

Bear modeling the flat, folded origami style and fastened with one pin. Bear modeling the prefold. This one takes two pins.
My size three pattern fits a good range of sizes (they fit Joy from 8 months through 18 months), but I did want to have some smaller ones for newborn stage. On the other hand, that's a lot of work to make diapers that may only fit for 6 weeks. I figured I did need a few more user friendly dipes though for grandparents etc... so many people get freaked out by cloth and a pin that I wouldn't think of adding folding to the picture, LOL.
I am loving the versatility of flat diapers so I think I'll be making up a bunch more of them--that and the fact that they are simply a hemmed square!
when i get all my wool washed and lanolyzed, I'll post pics of that too.




5 comments:

Misty said...

What is your flats made out of? cotton? Flannel? How many layers?

J Luck said...

I did it two ways, one single layer and also two layers. I used a cotton woven, not quite gauze, but a pretty thinnish cotton. This site has some GREAT directions including how to fold: http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_flats.html

I will also make some of flannel, but those I'll make only one layer, becaues I think that two layers of flannel will be too thick to get a trim fold. Using the origami fold, you end up with about 6-8 layers in the wet zone anyway, so that should be plenty.

This site also shows the origami fold, but they do it "upside down" so you have to turn the diaper over in the middle, however, it does make a bit more sense, then once you've done it that way, the way the first site shows becomes clear. http://www.angelfire.com/id/megnkatesplace/folds.html

Do you use fitteds or prefolds or what?

Misty said...

I know how to fold flats, that is all we had when I was growing up, but haven't used them on my kiddoes.

I love the fitteds too BTW :-) What covers do you use? Wool??

Misty said...

Oh, I use PF's and some pockets, but am getting tired of the "pocket smell", so we may go back to all PF's at home. Unfortunately all I brought on our trip was pockets :-( and 'sposies.

J Luck said...

OH I should be asking you about flats then!

I haven't used prefolds on a baby yet, but just messing with them on dolls (and of course, Bear) I'm not loving them. It seems like no matter what, you are going to get your extra bulk in the front which would be fine for a boy, but not so great for girls. Also the fastening factor... I started with long flap, one pin fitteds, and now I just can't imagine having to use two pins on PF.
I have seen the covers where you just tuck them in, but I'm not a fan of plastic covers, I have three PUL ones but everything else is wool.
I have considered snappies for the PF's, but I've heard more bad stories about getting snappied than I have about getting stuck with pins, and in 11 months of cloth diapering Joy, I got stuck one time and Jeff got stuck one time, Joy, none at all. Snappis..I've heard they leave big bloody scratches if they snap back and get you.

What kind of pockets do you use? I have a few Fuzzi Bunz, but wasn't loving the fleece inner. I used them mostly for church nursery or babysitters and even then had a nursery worker come find me one time to ask what that pink thing in Joy's diaper bag was.
I didn't use them enough to develop build up or stink, although I've heard that they can.

I never (knock on wood) had a problem with my all cotton flannel fitteds, but we also didn't start until she was 8 months old and since we use EC, I rarely had a poopy diaper, just wet ones. I'm excited and nervous about starting from the beginning with cloth this time.

I'm making a wool cover right now for you to try out, I mentioned it when you had the baby and then with Jeff sick, it got laid aside (obviously!), but when I do send it, I'll send you a fitted too.