the greenhouse
You see, I knew that once outside, my plants were going to face a number of challenges.
I lived in an apartment/townhouse type building and had a little strip of dirt to call my "yard". It was hard baked clay. I would literally use a hammer and a metal trowel to dig holes for planting. When I started my garden, most people laughed and told me that nothing was going to grow. It took time, lots of time. I dug the holes many times the size I would need them and then filled them with good soil and fertilizer. I would go into the woods and bring back decaying leaf matter and the occasional earthworm and throw them on.
I also knew that the neighbor's dog had a "thing" for being destructive and would pull up anything I planted, chew it, and leave it somewhere to dry and shrivel up. My little plants had to have strong enough roots to handle getting dragged out by their necks and replanted several times. Strong enough roots to go down, down past the starter holes I had made for them, and break the ground on their own.
Nowadays I'm too busy with all of these munchkins to spend that much time babying plants. I still love to garden (and they still need to be hardy, only now it's to survive "helping hands" instead of destructive dogs), but I spend most of my time on my other little "sprouts." I keep them protected too. I carefully keep away any bugs and cold drafts, I make sure that they aren't too wet and get moldy. I give them just the right light. When they get bigger, I'll start taking them out into the real weather to harden them off.
I lived in an apartment/townhouse type building and had a little strip of dirt to call my "yard". It was hard baked clay. I would literally use a hammer and a metal trowel to dig holes for planting. When I started my garden, most people laughed and told me that nothing was going to grow. It took time, lots of time. I dug the holes many times the size I would need them and then filled them with good soil and fertilizer. I would go into the woods and bring back decaying leaf matter and the occasional earthworm and throw them on.
I also knew that the neighbor's dog had a "thing" for being destructive and would pull up anything I planted, chew it, and leave it somewhere to dry and shrivel up. My little plants had to have strong enough roots to handle getting dragged out by their necks and replanted several times. Strong enough roots to go down, down past the starter holes I had made for them, and break the ground on their own.
Nowadays I'm too busy with all of these munchkins to spend that much time babying plants. I still love to garden (and they still need to be hardy, only now it's to survive "helping hands" instead of destructive dogs), but I spend most of my time on my other little "sprouts." I keep them protected too. I carefully keep away any bugs and cold drafts, I make sure that they aren't too wet and get moldy. I give them just the right light. When they get bigger, I'll start taking them out into the real weather to harden them off.
My purpose for those little plants wasn't to keep them under the grow lights forever; in fact, too much a good thing can make the seedlings get weak and leggy. They won't bloom well, or if they do, it will be on an unnatural schedule. I wanted those plants to go outside and be beautiful, I wanted them to bloom and bring about seed and fruit. I wanted the ones I planted the first few years to break the ground and make it easier for those coming behind.
My purpose for keeping my children safe and protected isn't to keep them in the greenhouse forever. I want them to be as strong as possible, straight, unblighted, good roots, ready to dig in and go deep. I want them to break ground, to bear fruit, to be beautiful and useful.
I don't know what my children's roles in live will be. My greatest honor would be for God to call them to fulfill the great mission- the great commission- and for them to "Go ye into all the world". Or perhaps they will be called to be godly business people, or teachers, or professionals. I hope that God sees fit to let them have their own families and they are godly parents. I can't see the future, and so far, God isn't giving me any sneak previews. Therefore, it behooves me to keep them safe and strong and pure, well-prepared in all areas, so that when the time comes, I can give God a young adult who is not scarred or used up, but ready, willing, and able to serve.
I'm growing my children strong so they will be ready for service, not to keep them forever in seclusion.

10 comments:
Thank you so much for this BEAUTIFUL post, Jody. I think I will print it out and save for future reference. Great description of what it is we're really trying to do: Parent on PURPOSE.
Blessings on you today as you endeavor to grow your children strong!
Thanks Tara ;-)
It is hard sometimes to explain the balance they I'm trying to find; I don't want to shelter simply for sheltering's sake (in my opinion, too much sheltering is as stunting as too much exposure). I also need a way to gently respond to my many christian sisters who have bought into the mentality that "you can't keep them safe forever so why even try?"
They seem to "get it" more clearly if I can take the emphasis off of keeping them safe and explain that it's more about growing them strong.
I'm looking forward to comments and discussions about this (and not just so I can get a high comment count and keep up with the "Joneses").
'you can't keep them safe forever, so why try'.......YES! Isn't that exactly the mentality out there? It can be so frustrating! Just because you don't want them exposed to certain things NOW, doesn't mean that you're not actively preparing your young ones to face those things in the future.
And are you callin' me a JONES?! ha!
Excellent post. I've carried on with the same thing on my blog instead of posting a very long reply here.
Thanks for summing it up so perfectly. You took what we were all trying to say and beautifully put it into the right words. We all need to bond together in prayer that we will maintain a good balance.
I really enjoyed the post! Well-written, and I agree fully!
God bless you as you tend to your "garden"...those precious little souls that God has entrusted into your care. WHAT A PRIVILAGE!
God bless, Heather in Colombia =)
This is awesome! It's nice to have "like-minded" mothers out there who, like Tara said, "parent on Purpose". That is the same goal I have for my own children.
Nicely done, Jody. I'm almost sorry I stole that dollar from you those many years ago. Who knew you would turn out to be such a philosopher?! I did pay you back, didn't I? Was it a dollar? Oh no, I'm over thinking this. Rats.
A M E N ! ! ! !
Well said. It is so refreshing to be hearing from other parents who share the same philosophy as my wife and I.
Phillip Dickinson
Sonja, you make me laugh. You didn't technically "steal" it. (Merely wormed your way into my affections and then lied about your birthday. )(Ok, maybe it sounds better to just say you stole it.) Anyhow, all has been apologized, restitutionized, and forgiven. ;-)
Post a Comment