What a quandary.
I appreciate the positive response to my “Greenhouse” post, and I wish that the fact that I have stated my goals meant that I had all the answers to what that actually involves...however, I don’t. I guess parenting is about making decisions based on what you have prioritized as the “important things.”
The current decision facing me is that of VBS. I am a fan of VBS. I myself attended countless sessions of Vacation Bible School as a child—this is one time where we did go church-hopping! I have also seen instances where churches can use VBS as a community outreach and as a means of establishing contact for year-round bus ministry.
I always assumed that my children would experience the same wonderful summer-time fun of round after round of VBS, the crafts, the stories, the cookies and Kool-Aid. This assumption hit the roadblock of reality a few summers ago (when my children were actually too young to attend) and I helped out a little bit with our church’s VBS. Without generalizing that all VBS will involve the same dynamics, it did make me think... I would not have been very happy as a parent sending my child to that VBS.
So, back to the present, Joey and Jessi are now 4 & 5, prime time for VBS. Many of my mommy-friends have been discussing getting their children registered for VBS at area churches (apparently it’s something like pre-school and the good ones fill up fast). I’m faced with wondering if the fun they will have is worth what they might pick up? Without being over-protective, it is simply a fact that most of my peers (the people who would be teachers and workers) are simply not as “picky” about influences as I am. “Church kids” nowadays openly discuss things that even “bus kids” knew to whisper back in my day. The only “modern” VBS I have observed had loud, raucous music, complete with flashing lights and dancing.
I do crafts with my kids at home. I do Bible Stories with my kids at home. They see friends often (under the supervision of parents) and do not lack socially. The honest truth is that they probably don’t “need” to go. They would have fun, I would get a break (although, maybe not, since I’d have the baby and not have my helpers). Is that enough reason to release them to the influence of zillions of other 4 and 5 year olds?
Let me assure you that I do trust the teachers (at least the ones at our church – a different church than the one mentioned above), but a. they can’t be everywhere and hear everything, and b. their standards for what is acceptable is probably just not the same as mine (and that is ok—for their kids).
My kids do go to various church classes, classes which we feel like the benefits outweigh the “risk”, and they do not go to other church classes/ activities. I’m just not sure which category VBS is going to fall under.
Did you know that there are strange, over-protective parents out there who don’t even “do” Sunday School? I have to confess that I’ve just written them off as a little kooky in their zeal, but am I now joining their ranks?
I have had occasion in the past to stop attending a Bible study group due to the children picking up unacceptable words and behaviors in the nursery. As I mentioned in the last posts, just because I can’t protect my kids from everything... does that mean I shouldn’t even try?
I do NOT want our parenting to be based on fear. I don’t want to protect simply for the sake of sheltering or because I don’t want to have to answer hard questions. I do want to parent out of faith, purposefully choosing influences and experiences that will be beneficial to my children, confident that I can be proactive in shaping my children and not simply reactive in trying to do damage control. I fully understand that it will come down to each child making a personal decision to obey God, but I also feel strongly that there is a lot we can to do steer them.
I guess one good thing about parenting is that it drives me to my knees more than any other task I’ve ever undertaken. I guess it's time to hit the deck and ask God for leading even in this seemingly simple area of VBS.
Saturday, June 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment