Friday, August 10, 2007

Heat wave, stomache flu, and random pictures

So, my mom came to visit us, I'll tell on her here and say that for some odd reason, no matter when else she comes to see us, she always manages to come the first week of August--which conveniently coincides with the outdoor Campmeeting at her home church. She has been overheard commenting that while it's all well and good to grow closer to God at Camp, it's not necessary to meet him face to face via heatstroke; thus her annual pilgrimage to Virginia.

Except this year it all backfired.

I was joking with her that God has a sense of humor because her visit occured on the Sunday of our church's annual Community Day which, interestingly enough, features an outdoor service. :-)


As it happens, she ended up not going to the service anyway, because late Saturday night, Joyana woke up, looked at me, and began to vomit. I won't go into the gory details, but lets say she would have won prizes in quality, quantity, texture, distance... the works. She had ALL categories covered-and me covered as well. Multiple times. It was a long night. So Jeff took the other two to Church the next day and Mom stayed home with me and pukey one.


By Monday, pukey one turned to pukey two, and by Tuesday it was pukey three. Suffice it to say that by the end of the week, we have all suffered with this illness in some form or another.


Heatwave: This is where I was originally going... Mom thought she would escape the heat by coming up here, and it followed her. All week we have had temps over 100 with heat indices up to 110 and 115. So, we've been locked inside with the stomache flu. So much fun, I highly reccommend it. @@ The irony is, it is so hot that for the first time ever, her home camp has moved services to an indoor location with AC. Ha Ha.
Random pictures:
One of the things we have been able to do while locked up is go through old photos and scan them. I needed Mom's help for old family photos but have found some very interesting old friend photos as well. Here's a question: what is accepted blog ettiquette for posting photos of other people? None of them would be indecent or embarassing, unless you count bible college big hair circa early 90's as embarassing.

So first off, does anyone know these people? This was taken in 1995 (I think) at IHC, it was a meeting of all the Student Government groups from the Bible Colleges. On the far left are the representatives from HSBC, Libby Snider, Jody Valenzuela, Jean Marc Zamor, and Julia Imhoff. I have no idea who everyone else is.

Ah, those were the days... group outings at HSBC. Left to right is Marc Churchill, Libby Snider, Steve Waldenga, Jody Valenzuela, and Matt Thompson. These outings were never officially "dates" but as I recall, Libby and I usually didn't pay. :-)This picture is Easter, either 1998 or 1999, I was in Pell City, teaching and my friends came up to visit me for Easter Weekend. Matt Thompson and I are sitting, John Paul Churchill and Libby Snider are standing.

3 comments:

jason miller said...

Hey, Jody--good pictures--4th from the left of your students government pic is the one the only Brant Luther (GBS).

J Luck said...

Thanks Jason, I knew he was in there somewhere.
By the way... I have some pictures of you too... let me dig out some good ones to post. :-)

jason miller said...

I'm a moron--Brant is 4th from the RIGHT.

Be careful what pictures of me you might post--I have pictures of you and I too have a blog! MWAH HA HA HA!!! I recently dug up some old choir stuff ('94) which features you rather prominently...